Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
We are hopeful that VITA will be able to resume services in 2021 for filing 2020 taxes. Please expect information regarding the 2021 season to be posted on our website and social media in late December 2020 to early January 2021.
More About VITA:
Tax season can be very stressful for those who are struggling. Finding someone to complete and file taxes reliably, at a fair cost, can be hard. And the idea of sorting through personal finances when money is tight can add a high level of stress. Of course, avoiding filing could lead to some negative consequences:
- Missing out on much-needed (and deserved) tax refunds
- Penalties or fines
United Way of Lamar County wants to make it as easy as possible for you to file your tax returns. That is why we offer the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which provides free tax help to working families who cannot prepare their own tax returns.
VITA’s volunteers are trained to complete your tax return accurately, accessing credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit. The VITA program can complete both Federal and State tax returns and is able to e-file for a faster refund.
To be eligible for VITA services:
- Your household income was less than $56,000 in 2020
- You did not receive income from rental property
- You did not sell a house, stocks, bonds or other financial assets
- And, if you are self-employed, you did not have any employees or inventor/depreciation/ business expenses
- You are not married, filing separately
VITA is currently closed for the remainder of the season.
If you have questions on the VITA program, please contact our offices.
Phone: (903) 784-6642